Monday, November 23, 2009

Pasta, Pesto and Peas

This almost killed me. Really, almost! As you know I am on this "Raw foods" diet with no room for yummie-ness. This weekend I had people over for a "Scentsy" party and decided to make this and other yummy recipes that I could not eat. That's right, I did NOT have one bite, not one! I am very proud of my will power. Didn't think I had it in me :)


3/4 pound of fusilli pasta
3/4 pound bow tie pasta
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 12 cups homemade pesto (recipe below)
1- 10 oz package frozen spinach chopped (defrosted and squeezed dry)
3 Tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 cups frozen peas, defrosted
1/3 cup Pignolis, toasted
3/4 tsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp freshly ground pepper.

Cook pasta i large pot of boiling salted water for 10-12 minutes, until pasta is al dente. Drain and toss in a bowl with olive oil. cool to room temp. In the bowl of food processor, puree the pesto, spinach and lemon juice. Add the mayo and continue to puree'.
add the pesto mixture to the cooled pasta, then add the Parmesan cheese, peas, pignolis, slat and pepper. Mix well. season to taste and serve at room temp.

Homemade Pesto

1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup pignolis (pine nuts)
3 Tbs diced garlic (about 9 cloves)
5 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cups olive oil
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

place the walnuts, pignolis and garlic on bowl of food processor. Process for 30 seconds. Add basil, S & P. With processor running slowly pour in olive oil until pesto is finely pureed. Add the Parmesan and puree for a minute more. Serve or store pesto in fridge or freezer. If freezer add a THIN layer of olive oil on top.

(I have had mine in the freezer for months, and it is still good)

Recipe from THE Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten

No comments:

Post a Comment